CALL ON THE LIBERAL GOVERNMENT TO FULFILL ITS ELECTION PROMISE TO STRENGTHEN GUN CONTROL IN CANADA
(December 2016) Last year during the 2015 federal election, we praised Justin Trudeau for his promise to strengthen Canada’s gun control law. More than a year later, we are still waiting for the government to act. Guns are designed to kill. They are inherently dangerous. Gun control may not prevent every tragedy but reasonable controls reduce the chances that these weapons fall into the wrong hands. Sadly, the previous government’s kowtowing to the gun lobby has had a disastrous impact on our gun control law, in many respects weaker today than it was at the time of the 1989 tragedy at the École Polytechnique.
The damage the Harper government inflicted on the 1995 Firearms Act is glaring:
- registration of millions of (unrestricted) hunting rifles and shotguns as well as numerous military style assault weapons has been eliminated, rendering these weapons untraceable and making it difficult to hold individuals accountable for the guns they own;
- vendors no longer have to keep track of sales of unrestricted firearms;
- individuals or businesses who sell unrestricted guns no longer have to verify the validity of a potential buyer’s possession license;
- transportation of handguns is no longer strictly controlled;
- and civilian military-style assault weapons are more accessible than ever, with many classified as unrestricted firearms. The weapon that was used in the 2006 shooting at Dawson College (a restricted firearm that the coroner said should be prohibited) is available today as an unrestricted firearm.
It is no surprise that since the Conservatives took power in 2006 the number of restricted firearms (typically handguns and military-style weapons) in circulation has skyrocketed.
We invite you to take action in favor of stricter gun control by calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to make good on their electoral promises (your message will also be sent to your MP):
You have entered the postal code: